How To Repair Car Bumper Paint Damage
Why repair car bumper damage?
- Scratch or chip damage anywhere on your car is ugly, and front and rear bumpers are the most susceptible to damage.
- A repair will increase the car’s value at when it comes time to sell.
- A chip or scratch can spread or worsen when exposed to extremes in temperature or weather conditions.
How to repair car bumper paint damage using a Chipex kit
Using a Chipex kit to repair paint chips and light scratches on your bumper is easier than you may think. Here is our step-by-step guide to doing so. Chipex designed this to be an easy process that can be done at home in a short time, so don’t be put off repairing them yourself.
- Find your colour code using our handy paint code finder options, then order the right size kit you’ll need.
- Clean the paint stone chips and surrounding area thoroughly. Make sure that you remove any sealant, wax or polish from the chip area. You can use a bit of the Blending Solution for this job.
- Put on the rubber gloves that come with the kit. These are actually used in the application of the paint.
- Shake the paint Step 1 Paint bottle well, and then use the supplied Microbrush® to dab the paint onto the chipped areas. If the car has suffered ‘road rash’ (lots of small paint stone chips in one area), put the paint onto a fingertip of the glove, and smear evenly across the road rash, making sure they are all filled. Note: drying time takes between 40 seconds and 5 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature and amount of paint you’ve applied.
- Once the paint is dry to the touch, apply the supplied Step 2 Blending Solution to the paper cloth, and wipe across the painted areas with a light pressure – simply allowing the solution to do its job without any excess pressure. Allow a few minutes for the blending solution to dry before the next stage.
- Take the Finishing Polish, apply a small amount to a soft microfibre cloth and rub gently across the painted areas. Allow this to dry and haze, and then remove the haze with a clean area of the cloth.
Why Chipex is better than a traditional scratch repair kit
- It is highly cost-effective, with kit prices at just: £34.95 (12 chips), £37.95 (24 chips), and £39.95 (Heavily Chipped Cars).
- You can use the Chipex kit to repair stone chips and scratches over and over again, for any future repairs.
- The Chipex paint match is 100% guaranteed, as Chipex use your vehicle’s paint code to get an exact colour match, so no more ugly, obvious repairs!
- It’s simple, easy and safe to use
- Excellent results are easily-achievable and seamless, thanks to the precise paint colour match and unique blend of paint and clearcoat lacquer
- It stops the chip or scratch from further rusting
- The car can be washed and waxed in the future without issue
Can Chipex be used instead of the bumper being spray painted?
In case you’re thinking “I’ve got an expensive car, I’d rather take it to a body shop than use one of these kits” then think again, as Chipex kits have been used to repair a huge variety of cars, even super-rare and exotic motors such as a 1960 Aston Martin DB4 , a 1963 Aston Martin DB5, an Audi R8 V10, and a ‘Nero Daytona Black’ Ferrari 575M, amongst others. Oh, and top that off Chipex are an official supplier to the Morgan Motor Company!
Chipex sell the system for an extensive list of cars from around the world, and if you want to see if your car is included (it probably will be) simply visit the Chipex manufacturer page.
All said, there are a huge amount of benefits to using a Chipex touch-up paint system to repair that unattractive paint chip, light scratch or scuff in your car’s bumper, and now you know what those are, simply input your car’s registration plate or colour code into the form on the front page of the Chipex website and order yours today!